Hello everybody, welcome to my recipe page, if you’re looking for Hearty Beef & Barley Soup recipe, look no further! We provide you only the perfect Hearty Beef & Barley Soup recipe here. We also have wide variety of recipes to try.
Before you jump to Hearty Beef & Barley Soup recipe, you may want to read this short interesting healthy tips about Green Living In The Kitchen Could save you Money.
It was not that long ago that hippies and tree huggers were the only ones to show concern concerning the well-being of the environment. That’s a thing of the past now, with everyone being aware of the problems besetting the planet as well as the shared obligation we have for turning things around. Unless everyone begins to start living much more eco-friendly we won’t be able to fix the problems of the environment. These kinds of adjustments need to start happening, and each individual family needs to become more environmentally friendly. Here are some tips that can help you save energy, primarily by making your cooking area more green.
Begin with exchanging the lights. Accomplish this for the entire house, not merely the kitchen. The normal light bulbs are the incandescent variety, which really should be replaced with compact fluorescent lightbulbs, which save energy. These bulbs are generally energy-efficient which means electricity consumption is actually lower, and, although they cost a bit more to buy, will outlast an incandescent light ten times over. One of the advantages is that for every one of these lightbulbs used, it ensures that approximately ten normal lightbulbs less will end up at a landfill site. You also have to get the habit of turning off the lights when there is nobody in a place. The family spends considerable time in the kitchen area, and how typically does the kitchen light go on in the morning and is left on all day long. This likewise takes place in the rest of the house, but we’re trying to save money in the kitchen. Do an exercise if you like; have a look at the amount of electricity you can save by turning the lights off when you don’t need them.
As you can see, there are many little items that you can do to save energy, as well as save money, in the kitchen alone. It is quite straightforward to live green, of course. Typically, all it takes is a little bit of common sense.
We hope you got benefit from reading it, now let’s go back to hearty beef & barley soup recipe. To make hearty beef & barley soup you need 9 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you do it.
The ingredients needed to make Hearty Beef & Barley Soup :
- Use 300 g of Lean steak mince.
- Provide half of a leek.
- You need 1 stick of celery.
- Use 1 of good size carrot.
- You need 2 of smallish potatoes.
- Provide 1 of onion.
- Provide 1 of stock cube.
- You need 2 of dessert spoons of grave granules.
- Get 30-70 g of Barley, depending on how much you like.
Steps to make Hearty Beef & Barley Soup :
- There are just the 2 of us so we buy mince from the butcher and I get him to pack it into half pound bags. That’s about 300g I freeze them and defrost them for each meal.
- Brown the meat. Make sure you get it nice and brown. This really enriches the flavour so get it nice and brown but be careful not to burn it. My mince is really lean as there is no fat but if you have a fatty mince you might want to drain the fat off at this point.
- While the mince is browning chop the onion, leek, carrot and celery. I chop the celery really finely but everything else is in nice big chunks. The celery is there as a flavour enhancer. You don’t get a celery taste you just get a beefier beef and a sweeter carrot.
- When the mince is brown add around 600ml of water, leeks, onion, carrot, celery and your stock cube. Season with a bit of salt & pepper, bring to the boil and simmer on a very low heat for about an hour. Long slow cooking brings out the flavour in the beef and the veg infuses into the liquid. Make sure it’s a really low heat though.
- This is the tricky bit to judge. The barley REALLY swells up. In my recipe there is only 70g of barley. My wife thought that this was a bit too much so next time I cook it I will probably put just 40g in. Add your pearl barley and bring to the boil again.
- The barley cooks in around 40 to 50 minutes start checking after about 40 minutes.
- About 20 minutes before the meal is ready to be served cut the potato into 10-15mm cubes and cook separately. If you cook the potatoes separately you can stop cooking when they are just right. If you cook them in the soup they might just end up as a potato mush in the bottom of the bowl.
- Just before serving sprinkle in a couple of dessert spoons full of gravy granules. This gives a lovely rich texture and helps with the beefy flavour.
- Serve pour into bowls and add as much or as little of the potato as you want. For a touch of luxury ad a knob of butter on top of the potato
If you find this Hearty Beef & Barley Soup recipe valuable please share it to your good friends or family, thank you and good luck.